Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring Fever

I've got a bad case of spring fever. I want to preserve and put up anything I can get my hands on. I want to bake bread and I just ordered a pressure canner. The garden is growing well and I just can't wait to try my hand at canning some of our produce.
I received a starter for some Amish Friendship bread a few weeks ago and made my 1st 2 loaves Sunday. They are really good. I think I will keep that going for a while and when I tire of making it I will freeze it for later use.
It's strawberry season here in Louisiana and I just couldn't help buying a flat. I have enough jelly left over from last year, so this year I made some syrup for pancakes and ice cream and maybe even I'll use it on shaved ice for a snowball. The recipe I used was in my ball blue canning book. I only used 5 pints and it made 7 cups.
I had lots of berries left so I decided to freeze them for using during the year. They can be frozen individually on cookie sheets and then transferred to freezer bags. That way you can remove just what you need without having to thaw the whole bag.

What you see on the top left side is what's left of my Amish Friendship bread...it's going fast..

We planted spinach and mustard greens kinda late this year and the mustards are alreay going to seed. So I am picking as much as possible before the really hot weather gets here. Here is some  fresh spinach we just picked.....yummy!!

I think I'll make a spinach and strawberry salad while the gettin is good.

No comments: